The idea of “igniting your marketing mojo” sounds pretty awesome, right? But how do you actually know whether or not your marketing mojo is ignited?
A good starting point is to look at the results you’re getting (or not getting): are new customers or clients coming into your business? How many people open your emails? How many people are visiting your website and looking at your offers?
Along those lines, you should also be looking at the return you’re getting on what you spend on your marketing…time as well as money.
And then there are some of the more subtle indicators which often precede and underlie tangible results. For example, do you find marketing your business leaves you feeling tired and anxious or do you feel jazzed and excited?
In my definition, your marketing mojo is ignited when your marketing is producing great tangible results for your business (new clients and revenue) AND contributing to your growth as a person.
So how DO you know whether your marketing mojo is ignited?
Simple Marketing Mojo Ignition Quiz
I created the Marketing Mojo Ignition Quiz to help answer the question, “How do you know your marketing mojo is ignited”
The quiz will help you find out not only whether your marketing mojo is ignited, it will help you identify your strengths and potential blind spots when it comes to developing your marketing mojo.
For each statement:
- Choose “yes” if that statement is true in your experience marketing your business.
- Choose “no” if the statement is not true in your experience marketing your business.
|1.||A sense of ownership and authenticity (“This is the real me”).||Yes||No|
|2.||My brilliance is reflected in my marketing.||Yes||No|
|3.||I feel invigorated rather than exhausted.||Yes||No|
|4.||Joy, zest, and enthusiasm.||Yes||No|
|5.||A sense of inevitability (“Try to stop me.”)||Yes||No|
|6.||As though something greater than yourself is working through you (“It’s me and yet not only me”).||Yes||No|
|7.||Fully present and connected with your customers rather than distracted or worried (“am I doing this right?”, “am I just wasting my time?”)||Yes||No|
|8.||New clients and customers just seem to “show up” (one business owner phrased this as “falling out of the sky”.||Yes||No|
|9.||Other people are enthusiastically helping me market my business (formal or informal partners, referral sources, etc.).||Yes||No|
|10.||A sense of ease and flow when engaged in your marketing. (You may be working hard but without a sense of struggle).||Yes||No|
Scoring: Give yourself one point for every “yes” you circled.
Understanding Your Score
The quiz is designed to help you find out two things about your marketing mojo:
- Total Score: The higher your score, the more likely it is that you’ve ignited your marketing mojo.
- The specific elements activated. Marketing mojo isn’t just one thing. You ignite your marketing mojo when key elements are activated and working together in a way that creates synergy.
It may help also to know that like many things, igniting your marketing mojo usually involves building skills and habits over time. For most of us, ignition requires more than a single spark. Most people need lots of sparks with the right materials in place and in the right environment to ignite their marketing mojo.
How to Ignite Your Marketing Mojo
If your total score indicates your marketing mojo is not yet ignited, here’s what you can do to get those sparks flying:
- Look at your “yeses” and think of things you can do to strengthen those areas even more. For example, if you answered “yes” to statement #10 which is about other people helping you market your business, think of other activities you can do to include others. Can you organize an event that involves businesses with products and services complementary to your own?
- Choose one “no” and come up with a couple things you can begin doing to grow more proficient in that area. For example, if you answered “no” to #5. (a sense of inevitability), you’re probably not using your core strengths enough in your marketing. If you’re exceptionally effective when meeting in person, schedule one or two face to face meetings every week so more people can fully experience your “magic.”
If you’re like me, you may find yourself wanting to dive full on into a Marketing Mojo Activation Assault in which you go crazy trying to improve everything at once. Don’t do that.
Remember that the word “mojo” refers to the special magic each of us possesses. Mojo is practical magic so on the one hand there are lots of concrete things you can do to activate your mojo. But like all human processes, mojo also requires time to develop and in my experience there’s a great deal of joy and satisfaction in watching your mojo unfold naturally.
The key here is consistent, daily action. Small actions are fine. Just make it a priority to do that one small thing that will activate a mojo element.
And remember to have fun and appreciate you for investing in yourself and in your business.